But this morning, when my befuddled and still half asleep self was blindly reaching into my cupboard for a coffee cup before I wandered over to mooch some caramel coffee off my sister, I couldn't help but notice this cup.
And even though I've had this cup for years, for some reason this morning, the message really hit me. So my brain immediately woke itself up and started thinking.... If I KNEW I wouldn't fail, what would I do?
- I would open a bakery. And probably a lingerie shop. Paradoxical, I know.... But still, I just think it would be fun to do both. I'd open a salon while I was at it, too. Have a little chocolate deliciousness, then wander over and get yourself pampered AND get some sweet new underthings? That sounds like my kind of day.
- I would immediately go back to school, and complete the following degrees (at a minimum): Psychology, Pre-Med, Digital Marketing, Secondary Education, Interior Design, and Human Resources. Since I knew I wouldn't fail, I would of course take courses for all of them simultaneously, so as to lessen the amount of time between now and when I have my multiple degrees.
- I'd buy a lottery ticket, too. Someone's gotta pay for the schooling and the business openings, right?
- I would begin training to become a dance instructor. Probably a Zumba instructor, actually.. Eva always looks like she is having the time of her life when she is teaching, and is in like, perfect shape, which would be pretty rad.
- I would train to become an Olympic swimmer. I'd be going for the gold, obviously.
- I would write a book. I would definitely write a book. More than one, probably.
There are probably a lot more things that I would try to do, if I spent a bit more time thinking about it. But here's the kicker... Really, what is stopping me from doing all (or at least most) of these things already? Probably nothing more than my own insecurity/laziness/fear/whatever. Obtaining six undergraduate degrees? Yes, without unlimited time and funds (neither of which I have), that would be tough. Buying a lottery ticket would just be stupid, since there's no way to guarantee that I'd make it. And I've definitely passed the window to become an Olympic athlete, no question there.
I could write a book though. And I could work to get in shape and learn how to dance, and then train to become an instructor. Hell, I could even probably open a bakery and a lingerie store someday, too.
The struggle that I have is that I get all nervous that I'll mess up, I'll make the wrong decision, I'll end up losing lots of money/time, whatever. And I let that fear make me motionless. I freeze, because for some crazy reason, I'd rather just not do anything, than try something and fail.
And that, my friends, is just plain stupid.
So now it's your turn: What would YOU attempt, if you knew you could not fail?