About Me Contact Sponsor Image Map

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Day 10: Soooo.....That Happened



I have been blessed with grace and class extraordinaire, so I pretty much never have embarrassing moments of any kind. 



Also, I'm a liar. 



Not only am I ridiculously clumsy, but I also have a tendency to talk too much, to say the wrong thing, to make a joke that nobody thinks is funny (suuuuper awkward when that happens, by the way), to laugh so hard at a work happy hour that beer comes out my nose. Seriously, I'm a wreck. 



So coming up with my "most embarrassing moment" for this challenge is (wait for it...) challenging. However, when I think back on all my mortifying moments, there is one that sticks out the most, primarily because even 18 years later, I still blush every time I think about it. 



Let me set the scene.... 



I was ten years old. It was a beautiful evening in late April, that perfect kind of Midwestern spring that includes crickets and warmth and the promise of an even more amazing summer. I had spent the evening playing outside, getting the best kind of dirty, the kind you can only get from running around barefoot in grass and dirt, and climbing trees, and traipsing through the woods. 



At about ten minutes to 8, my mom told me to come inside, take a shower, and get ready for bed. Being the ridiculously obedient child that I was (sometimes almost never), I immediately went inside and commenced with the bedtime ritual. 



Earlier in the evening, a family friend from church had brought over a car we had just bought from him. He and my dad were chatting in the driveway until my mother remembered that she and my dad had to go vote on some county or township question, and that they had to be there before the polls closed at 8pm, which was, conveniently, only about five minutes away. Our friend, understanding the urgency, sweetly volunteered to babysit while my parents ran to the town hall up the hill. 



So, while I was taking a shower, completely unaware that my parents had left, I slipped and fell in the shower, cracking my head soundly on the side of the tub. I don't remember anything specific about how it happened or the few moments immediately thereafter - I just have a general memory of hearing screaming (my own, I assume), and seeing blood all over the walls and the floor. 



I gradually became aware of someone knocking on the door, and a man's voice asking me if I was okay, and if he could come in. I thought it was my dad, so I mumbled something about it being okay (again, all my memories here are a little bit fuzzy). 



Imagine my surprise, however, when the door opens, and in walks my parent's friend. Even in my concussed and profusely bleeding state, I managed to be intensely aware of the fact that I was naked and curled up on the floor and that the person I thought was my dad was most certainly NOT. 



I. Was. Mortified.  



Now, to his credit, my parent's friend was a perfect gentleman. He had daughters himself, the same age as my older brother and sister, and understood my embarrassment. He immediately wrapped me up in a towel and tended to my cut, and then sat with me until my parents came home to take me to the ER, where I was given six stitches above my eyebrow. 



Thankfully, over the years, I have been able to overcome my humiliation, and remain good friends with this man and his entire family, so all's well that ends well. :) 


What's your most embarrassing moment?








In an effort to write more frequently, I decided to take part in the Blogging Every Day in May challenge. I know I’m coming into it a few days behind, so I’ll be posting quite a few things in the next couple days as I get caught up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to know what you think! Leave me a comment - it will make my day!