About Me Contact Sponsor Image Map

Thursday, May 30, 2013

Day 29: I Got the Music In Me

To say that I love music would be a bit of an understatement. To that that I’m completely obsessed with listening to music might be a bit more like it, but still doesn’t quite cut it. I love the way music can completely transform a moment, how it can take you from wherever you are to another time and place in an instant. So when I saw that today’s challenge was to list five songs that “bring me back”, I was instantly excited! The only hard part is figuring out which five songs I want to use!



In an effort to make this monumental task a bit easier on myself, I decided to choose songs based on categories of my life – high school, college, after college but still in Chicago, Minneapolis, and Las Vegas.

So without further ado…

High School: Ignition (Remix) – R. Kelly



Even though I was home-schooled, I had a boyfriend my senior year, so I got to go to prom! This was not only his favorite song, but also his entire class’s favorite song, so they played it twice at prom, and it was practically on repeat at the after-party. Any time I hear this song, I am transported back to that night, and I feel again the magic of wearing the beautiful dress, and having my hair done, and dancing and laughing all night long.


College: Shake Ya Tailfeather – Nelly ft. P. Diddy and Murphy Lee




This song was so hot my freshman year of college! It was right after Bad Boys II had come out, and everybody was talking about it. I loved the movie, so of course I loved the song, and I used to blast it in my dorm room like nobody’s business. I was probably really annoying to my roommate everyone on the floor, but any time I hear that song, I go back to freshman year, my tiny pie-slice shaped dorm room, and remember how liberated I felt because I had unlimited internet access *gasp* and could listen to whatever music I wanted! Also, I would like to point out that I liked this song before I really came into my own musical tastes, which have become considerably more refined since then.


After College but Still in Chicago: Cosy in the Rocket by Psapp



I couldn’t find an official video for the song, but it’s played on this one, so I think it counts the same. Anyway, after I left college but was still living in Chicago, I spent a lot of time alone in my apartment. I lived pretty far away from where I worked, and where any of my friends were, so I didn’t have much of a social life. I started watching “Grey’s Anatomy” on DVD just to give myself something to do. Hearing this song always makes me think of my tiny little apartment in Roger’s Park, with the dark blue carpet that I loved, and the ridiculously tiny kitchen with no counter space that I hated. It makes me think of long nights of not sleeping, lounging on the futon in my living room because I was lonely and my brain wouldn’t shut up. It’s not the best song memory I have, but it’s a pretty defining one for that time in my life.


Minnesota: She Will be Loved – Maroon 5




I was never really a big Maroon 5 fan, but my best friend in Minnesota really loved them has an unhealthy obsession with them, so we listened to them a lot. This was one of the songs she would always put on the jukebox when we’d be hanging out at Buffalo Wild Wings, drinking beers and eating “Nate fries” (which are basically the best kind of potato wedges ever, in case you were wondering). I never hear a Maroon 5 song that doesn’t make me think of her, and remember with fondness all the nights we spent together at BDubs, laughing and talking. 

Las Vegas: Runnin’ – Adam Lambert


Shortly after I moved to Vegas, I went through some pretty intense personal struggles. One sleepless night, I was laying on the couch in my living room, listening to my iPod on shuffle. For some reason, this song really stuck out to me that night, and I ended up listening to it about ten times in a row. I don’t know how I missed it before, or why it helped so much that night, but it was the only thing that calmed me down. I still love this song a ridiculous amount, and could probably listen to it on repeat for days and be completely happy about it. There’s just something about it that makes me feel strong, like I can handle anything that gets thrown at me.


What are your favorite songs? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to know what you think! Leave me a comment - it will make my day!